You know I love dumplings, so when the Minimalist did a video on making your own Shrimp and Cilantro Shu Mai, it was only a matter of time before I tried it out.
Overall I was pleased, but I could not claim that mine were so superior to those in a restaurant. More delicate at least.
Notes on the recipe:
- I bought mirin, but I think normal rice wine would have been fine
- Could not find dumpling wrappers at Whole Foods, but did find them at an asian deli. NYC advantage.
- I halved the cilantro. That was enough for me.
- The 4-fold dumplings were easy to make. 6-folds was a little harder. I ended up with 16 dumplings.
- The dipping sauce was too salty from the abundance of soy sauce. I took a portion of the original sauce, and re-balanced it with rice wine, water, and lime juice. You could probably halve the amount of soy sauce called for.